Saturday, January 16, 2010

60 Meter mobile (back post)

(Originally posted to another blog site....)

Greets... I normally take my motorcycle to work here in the College Park MD area but recently with the weather and snow/ice possibilities, have been taking the "bunlet" (my truck) to work. I was trying to check into the "Rooster Net" (3.990 Mhz) but I havent had much luck from the truck. Even though SGC says that my SG237 can tune up a 8.5' whip from 3.5Mhz and up it dosnt mean that it will be the worlds best radiator at that freq. Still a short antenna for that band! (more on that later...)

Back on track...One thing I have been doing is using 60m more from the truck. Specifically channel 4 (5.3715Mhz). Great group in the AM and in the afternoon as well. Apologies to everyone since I am BAD with call-signs at the mobile.

One thing I have heard that is interesting though is 5.450Mhz. Its the RAF VOLMET frequency. I was listening to a couple of guys talking about it and the one OM said that if you can hear this, you can pretty much hear DX coming from the UK on channel 5 (5.4035 Mhz)

Anyhow, getting used to this thing and will experiment with it later to get it "less bland".

W3BNY...out.

No comments:

Post a Comment